Pretty self-explanatory: Objectives are what the player must do, Obstacles are the things in their way
The following is a list of ideas for these two criteria that could work in my own level. Some did not make it into the final product.
• Basic UDK gameplay functionality
• Combat/ Shooting (once weapon has been found)
• Main Objective: Proceed to the end of the level/ pass the entity’s judgement
• Sequential Objectives: Complete one of two objectives in each ‘room’ to proceed to the next
• Each room’s objectives are always different, but there are always 2 options
• Types of Objectives include:
- Choose a path
- Defeat a certain enemy
- Solve puzzle in a particular way
- ‘Right’ vs Easy options
- Morally ambiguous
- Sadistic Choice?
- Fairly simple in design and implementation
- Interaction with objects achieved through movement and collision
- Block/ object moving
- Stepping on Key coded switches
- Weak and Strong Enemy combo
- Hostile enemy spawning after a docile enemy is defeated
- 2 docile enemies, 1 of which must be killed to proceed
- Moving platforms
- ‘Invisible’ Maze
The next Preproduction stage is Focal Points.