Tuesday 9 October 2012

DD3992 HONOURS PROJECT #2: Project Camelot

Once again, by intermittent habit of putting things off has led to me not updating in awhile. As a result, I have a lot to get through. We'll start with the project plan for my Honour project.

If you remember my last post, you'll notice the goals are fairly different to what I originally envisioned. The main reason is that when I showed the original concept to my tutor, he said that it was a good idea but that I should think of the project as designing a world rather than as a game. Since then it's undergone a couple of revisions, with this being the final version.


Project Aims
For my Honours Project, I have chosen to produce a portfolio of 2D concept art that is designed around a central theme. This portfolio will include a variety of character, environment and asset designs. The theme I will use is a futuristic rendition of Arthurian Legend. I have chosen this project because I see it as a chance to not only demonstrate my ability to create 2D concept art, but also display the versatility and variety of my skills. I believe that these are vital skills that any good concept artist should possess.

Intended Actions
Research:
  • I will begin my research by looking at the original Arthurian legends, since they are essentially the source material of my chosen theme. I shall also examine the various adaptations based on these stories, including the BBC’s Merlin series and Disney’s The Sword in the Stone, as well as several sources of Medieval High Fantasy such as George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series.
  • In addition to this, I will also study various artwork and designs based on science fiction. In particular, I will be focusing on any designs that blend historic and futuristic aesthetics together, such as the Knightmare Frames from Code Geass, Christopher Hart’s book Mangamania Fantasy Worlds and Marvel Studios’ Thor.
  • I will also be examining digital painting techniques, using books such as Digital Painting Techniques: Master Volume 1 and Beginners Guide to Digital Painting in Photoshop for guidance. However, this will not the focal point of the project.
Portfolio:
  • Once I have gathered a sufficient amount of research, I will then create a selection of 2D concept art based on a futuristic version of the legends of King Arthur. This collection will then be presented as both a book published through blurb.com and a separate portfolio.
  • As part of this portfolio, I intend to create futuristic redesigns of six characters that each feature prominently in Arthurian legend. These six individuals will include King Arthur himself, Sir Lancelot, Queen Guinevere, Merlin, Morgan Le Fay and Sir Mordred.
  • I also intend to create futuristic designs of some significant locations that appear in the legends. These will include Castle Camelot, Excalibur’s Lake and the resting place of The Holy Grail.
  • Finally, I shall also produce designs for a collection of assets that fit into the chosen theme. This will consist of two Vehicles and five Weapons, including Excalibur.
Method:
  • The concept art itself will be created using Adobe Photoshop and a Wacom Tablet. The actual style I shall use will use clear line art, though I am hoping incorporate some elements from digital painting into the colouring and shading.

Outcomes
At the end of this project I would like to have achieved the following:-
  • A book containing initial sketches, development and final designs for 6 characters, 3 environments, 2 vehicles and 5 weapons
  • A portfolio containing the finished concept art for all 6 character, 3 environments, 2 vehicles and 5 weapons
  • An online blog documenting my research and progress throughout the year

Schedule
Week 1
Module Intro/ Project Plan
Week 2
Project Plan
Week 3

Project Plan/ Preliminary Research of Arthurian Legends and Other Sources
Week 4

Project Plan Hand-in/ Preliminary Research of Arthurian Legends and Other Sources
Week 5

Preliminary Research of Arthurian Legends and Other Sources/ 1st Vehicle Asset Research and Initial Sketches
Week 6

Research, Sketches and development of All Vehicle Assets/ Begin Research and Initial Sketches of 1st Weapon (Excalibur)
Week 7

All Vehicles Completed/ Research, Sketches, Development and Final Designs for All Weapons
Week 8

All Weapons completes/ Begin Research and Thumbnail Sketches for Environment 1 (Camelot)
Week 9

Development and Final Design for Environment 1 (Camelot)
Week 10

Begin Research and Thumbnail Sketches for Environment 2 (Excalibur’s Lake)
Week 11

Development and Final Design for Environment 2 (Excalibur’s Lake)
Week 12

Begin Research and Thumbnail Sketches for Environment 3 (Holy Grail)
Week 13

Development and Final Design for Environment 3 (Holy Grail)/ All Environments Complete
Christmas Holidays

Finishing off all unfinished work


Week 14

Begin Research, Thumbnail Sketches and Development of Character 1 (Guinevere)
Week 15

Final Design of Character 1 (Guinevere)/ Begin Research and Thumbnail Sketches of Character 2 (Morgan)
Week 16

Development and Final Design of Character 2 (Morgan)
Week 17

Begin Research,Thumbnail Sketches and Development of Character 3 (Merlin)
Week 18

Final Design of Character 3 (Merlin)/ Begin Research and Thumbnail Sketches of Character 4 (Launcelot)
Week 19

Development and Final Design of Character 4 (Launcelot)
Week 20

Begin Research,Thumbnail Sketches and Development of Character 5 (Mordred)
Week 21

Final Design of Character 5 (Mordred)/ Begin Research and Thumbnail Sketches of Character 6 (King Arthur)
Week 22

Development and Final Design of Character 6 (King Arthur)
Week 23

Finishing off all unfinished work
Week 24

Finishing off all unfinished work/ Compiling all work together into book and portfolio
Easter Holidays

Compiling all work together into book and portfolio
Week 25

Compiling all work together/ Final preparations and touches
Week 26
Final Hand-In

Now, let's see how this goes, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment