Wednesday 26 September 2012

XB3001 GAME PROPOSAL #1 - Intro to Module and Thoughts

As with the previous two posts, I'm going to start with a quick introduction of what XB3001 entails.

For the Games Proposal module, I will be attempting to identify and display my abilities across four key areas of Games Design in order. These four key areas are as follows:-

- Professional Game Conception

- Professional Character Conception and 3D Modelling

- Professional Level Design

- Professional Environment Design and 3D Modelling

Additionally, my work in these areas must revolve around a central contextual theme. This theme can be anything, including politics, science, religion or even other media. The only condition is that it cannot be related to video-games.
Another significant detail is that while the four assignments must share the same theme, they do not need to be related in any way beyond that. And that is Games Proposal in a nutshell.

Wireframe Screenshot from Unreal Engine 4 tech demo

I don't really hide the fact that I was rather disappointed with the preceding module from my second year, Games Origination. In my opinion, it was poorly taught (we had a different tutor back then), it required an exhausting amount of unnecessary time and effort and by the end I couldn't help but feel that I hadn't learnt or achieved anything of value. I know that it's probably quite unprofessional to be saying this here, but frankly the overall quality of that particular module was pathetic, to put it lightly...
 However, I am personally quite optimistic about this year's module. Judging from the module handbook, it seems well structured, varied and, more importantly, relevant to actual games design. Plus, Ben, our tutor, definitely seems to know what he's doing. Time will tell whether or not this is actually the case, but for now I have high hopes for what this year will bring.

In my next XB3001 post, I'll go over some of the ideas I have for my chosen theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment