Wednesday 19 December 2012

XB3001 GAMES PROPOSAL #8: Low Poly Character Design and Development

Ok, I'll admit it; I should have uploaded this stuff awhile ago. Sadly, I didn't, so now I have to play catch-up and post everything I've done for this assignment AFTER I handed it in. Oh well, let's just get on with it...

As I mentioned in my last post, I had decided to base my two characters on Freud's theory of the Id, Ego and Superego. I chose to make my low-poly model a personification of the Superego, otherwise known as the conscience. I began with thumbnails, focussing on a few key ideas. My core influences were businessmen wearing suits, angels, sheep and the typical statue of justice.
I then developed a couple of the thumbnails to try and finalise, though I focused on the one resembling a short, anthropomorphic sheep in a suit (who shall be referred to as 'sheep-lawyer'). As you can see, I tried out several variants of incorporating weighing scaled into the character design, finally settling on three large gear-like object fixed to his back. 
I then tried some colour variants. I already had some idea of using a black/white colour scheme, but from here I chose one that implied a duality (the last one).
 This led on to the final design, which can be seen below. Behold; my intepretation of the Superego:-

Next up: my high poly character, the Id

No comments:

Post a Comment